NEWS UPDATES- We are closed this Sunday. December 8th for All classes and meetings.
The class schedule for the upcoming 2012-2013 season will be found by going to the home or newlette page.
The Shining Stars School of Performing Arts is located at:
Green Valley Plaza
11791 Fingerboard Road
Monrovia, MD 21770-9263
Our Parent SSSPA Volunteer Program is part of being successful. We are a not for profit organization incorporated in the State of Maryland as a 501 (c) (3) so we are tax exempt. Your donations are very welcomed and help keep costs down.
Now for some interesting facts you may not know:
* We are very proud of our Special Needs Special Friends Dance Class on Saturdays, proving just as sports are for everyone, so is dance.
* We house a competition team known as ECDT or Eight Count Dance Team. These dancers not only win but they serve as well at community events, special need kids and do community service.
* Recital is yearly and an awesome event! We have Picture Day with David Chesnut that is done during class time near the end of the school year. He is a fabulous dance photographer.
We do monthly themes and activities for all classes. There is Open Observation for Parents for all classes and we have very strict pick up and drop off rules to keep our kids safe.
In August of 2005, Damascus Theater Company (DTC) opened the Shining Stars School of Performing Arts under the Direction of Cheryl O'Hara. In January 2006, the Shining Stars School of Performing Arts (SSSPA) became a fully functioning separate non-profit corporation opening the first performing arts school in Damascus, Maryland. Together with Katharine McIntyre, creator of the Contretemps Elite Ballet Corps, SSSPA produced and directed the first of a series of "narrative ballets" which both educated the public about ballets and incorporated character roles for non-dancers within the ballet.
The Competition Dance Team was created in 2007, coached, and designed by Camille Abramson; winning gold in their dance categories.
Our facility in Monrovia, Maryland has two state of the art dance studios installed with floating dance floors; as well as, separate classroom space for voice, theater, art, and rehearsals.
SSSPA was the FIRST in our area to:
1. Design and implement the "narrative ballet" format;
2. Institute the first area ballet company – The Contretemps Elite Ballet Corps;
3. Provide creative dance and drama classes for special needs students;
4. Develop comprehensive training programs for future dance professionals;
5. Develop dance curriculum to promote diversification of skills;
6. Include in casting of ballets, non-dancers in character roles and other dance forms;
7. Promote transparency through open door policy.